Different Ways To Get Rid Of People You May Know On Facebook
Facebook has grown to be the largest multibillionaire social media corporation through which people all over the globe can connect under an unified network. This enormous interactive online platform created by Facebook can be utilized by anyone with valid credentials and an Internet connection to communicate with their associates, thereby growing their social network and creating helpful communities.
But while scrolling through Facebook, you might have noticed a unique feature called People You May Know or Friend Suggestions, which claims to show Facebook accounts or profiles that you might have met once or twice in your life.
The People You May Know section has been criticized by netizens for being a breach of their privacy, as the suggestions are generated by accessing your location information, group activity, mutual friends, phone contact list, and so on.
If you detest this Facebook feature and want to remove this section from your FB news feed (whether it is on the official Facebook website or Android and Apple apps), you have arrived at the correct location. Head over to the next section to understand how the People You May Know algorithm works.
How Does The Facebook People You May Know Algorithm Work?
Various friend suggestions are shown to you atop your Facebook News feed by following a specific algorithm. The Facebook website collects your activity data (both inside and outside of the Facebook page), feeds it to the algorithm, and generates suggestions for the People You May Know. Here are some of the ways through which push notifications generated by the “People You May Know” algorithm are formed:
- People you search for on Facebook
- People who search about you
- Mutual friends of connected FB profile
- When you are tagged in a friend’s post or album
- Being in the same network (city, state, school)
- Group activity
- Participating in the same Facebook event
- Email address and phone number (when the Facebook app access the contact list of your device)
- If your contact info is saved on your friend’s device
- Giving Facebook access to your email contact list (when you log in through Google account)
- Logging into forums and external websites with your Facebook accounts
How To Disable People You May Know Facebook Friend Suggestions?
- Turn Off Your Facebook Notifications Through Settings
- How To Turn Off Notification On Facebook Desktop Website:
- How To Turn Off Notification On Facebook Mobile App (Android & Apple)
- Stop Automatic Contact Uploading In Mobile App
- Prevent Facebook From Accessing Your Device’s Location
- Adjust Your Privacy Settings To Hide Personal Details From Unknown Profile
There is no permanent solution for turning off or disabling the Facebook People You may know algorithm, but there are always subtle steps and settings through which few data can be gathered from your activity online and the pesky intrusive push notifications can be stopped from the suggestions options . These 4 sections are designed to increase your Facebook browsing privacy while getting rid of the People You May Know feature on Facebook.
1. Turn Off Your Facebook Notifications Through Settings
To turn off the People You May Know Suggestions on Facebook, you need to fiddle with the notification settings present in your profile settings. We will include the appropriate steps for both with the official Facebook website and the mobile app.
2. How To Turn Off Notification On Facebook Desktop Website:
- After logging in to your account, click on the down arrow at the top-right corner and select Settings & privacy. On the following menu, choose Settings again.
- From the left pane, click on the Notifications category.
- Find the People You May Know the menu at the right page, and expand it.
- Disable the option that says, “Allow notifications on Facebook.”
- You will receive no push notifications regarding friend suggestions now.
3. How To Turn Off Notification On Facebook Mobile App (Android & Apple)
You can also disable notifications regarding friend suggestions in the Mobile app for both Android and Apple devices by following the process below:
- Login to your Facebook account on the mobile app
- Tap on the hamburger icon below the messenger icon
- Scroll down and expand the Settings & Privacy menu
- Tap on Settings
- Press on Notifications under your profile settings
- Scroll down to find the People You May Know section
- Disable the option to Allow Notifications on Facebook
- Confirm by pressing Turn Off again
If turning off the People You May Know Notifications didn’t help you get rid of the incessant suggestions, follow the other method given below
4. Stop Automatic Contact Uploading In Mobile App
When you had installed the official Facebook app on your mobile device, you had automatically given consent to the company to collect data from your contact list, and show unnecessary friend suggestions on your News Feed. The People You May Know feature can be disabled by removing your contact list from the Mobile App by following the steps below:
- In the Facebook app, Open Settings and search for contacts
- Select the option for Upload Contacts
- Turn off the feature called Continuous Contacts Upload
The Continuous Contacts Upload feature is used to update Facebook of any new contact you add to your device’s contact list, search for them on Facebook, and provide you with suggestions. This will be prevented after following the steps above.
5. Prevent Facebook From Accessing Your Device’s Location
Facebook automatically gathers your permission to access the device location while its initial installation. Through the location history, Facebook shows other accounts in the People You may know corner based on people around you. You can disable the location permission by following an easy step through the Facebook mobile app:
- Long press on the Facebook app icon from the home screen, and tap on App info
- Click on the Permissions section on the settings page
- Under the Allowed section, tap on Location
- Change the permission to Not Allowed, and return from the setting page
- You will not receive a friend suggestion based on your location anymore
6. Adjust Your Privacy Settings To Hide Personal Details From Unknown Profile
The best way to know how to stop Facebook friend suggestions is by changing your privacy settings and friend suggestions options from the original Facebook website. Follow the steps below to change your account’s privacy settings:
- Open the Facebook website on your desktop Internet browser
- Navigate to Settings (click on the down arrow at the top-right corner and select Settings & privacy. On the following menu, choose Settings again)
- Select the Privacy option from the left panel
- On the right side, change “Who can send you friend requests?” from Everyone to Friends of friends.
- Change “Who can see your friends list” to Only Me
- You can change other privacy settings there based on your discrepancy
How do the people you may know feature on Facebook work?
The People You May Know feature on Facebook works by collecting data from the user such as location info, Facebook search history, finding people close to groups and pages, people having similar interests, etc.
How to turn off friend suggestions on Facebook?
Turning off friend suggestions on Facebook is not permanently possible, although you can follow the tips below to prevent them:
Always use Facebook on the browser rather than the mobile app
Don’t give contact list access
Don’t use Facebook for login at external platforms
Have a separate device to use Facebook
What happens when you remove someone from ‘suggested friends’?
When you remove someone from the suggested friends list by clicking the Cross icon, Facebook knows that the suggestion is irrelevant in your news feed, and it will try to give you fewer friend suggestions like that.
How you can tell when people have looked at my profile?
There is no way to tell directly if someone had looked at your profile since Facebook doesn’t inform the user about this data. There is no separate way to access this information.